Join internationally bestselling romance authors - Amy Andrews, Ally Blake, Clare Connelly and Jennifer St George - who will teach you all the what you need to know in order to write a sellable romance novel.
Curated to assist those writing their first (or building your skills for your second, third…) romance novel, the HOW TO WRITE LOVE course will guide you every step of the way, with expert tuition on creating compelling characters, plotting a story, writing sex scenes, pitching to editors, and so much more.
'How to Write a Romance Novel...
- Over 30 expert video lessons, within ten weekly Modules
- Members-only Interactive Facebook group
- Live Q&A sessions with each author
- Romance writing course workbooks
- The benefit of over 75 years of romance writing experience
- Lessons from authors published with Penguin, Harlequin Mills & Boon Entangled, Tule, Escape, Pan MacMillan and indie-published.
Here's what we'll cover
The Romance Novel
In this lesson, we will introduce you to all the ingredients that make up a romance novel. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The genre promise.
- Sub-genres and tropes
- Single title and series
- Heat levels
- The Business of Happy Ever Afters
Creating compelling characters is central to writing an engaging romance novel. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Getting to know your characters
- Alpha, Beta or Gamma?
- Character archetypes
- Character progression and growth
- Internal and external conflict
- Making characters sympathetic
- Diversity and inclusion
All About Structure
A romance novel must be well structured to maintain reader interest. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Plotter, pantster or puzzler?
- Structuring a romance novel
- Sub-plots and short romance
Attention spans as they are these days, readers - and editors! - may only read the first page before deciding whether or not to read your novel. Keeping the reader turning the page is imperative. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to start in the right place
- Hook the reader from the first line
- Craft your first page
Setting is an integral part of your novel and gives context to the story or scene. Setting can influence the plot and characters so it requires careful thought. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Settings in a stand alone romance
- Settings in a series
Dialogue and POV
Beginner or aspiring authors often have trouble with writing realistic dialogue. We will show you how to write dialogue that leaps off the page, moves the story forward and makes your readers fall in love with your characters. Selecting which point of view has a big impact on your story. We will help you choose which voice to use. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Characterisation through dialogue
- POV - first, second or third?
Writing Great Sex Scenes
Sex is an essential part of any romantic relationship as it creates tenson and reveals character. Learn the art of writing those all important sex scenes. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Introducing the art of the sex scene
- Emotion vs action
- Intimacy, romance, consent and contraception
- A feast for the senses
You only have one chance to capture the attention of an agent, editor or publisher. This series of lessons will teach you how to prepare that all important submissions package. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Crafting a synopsis
- Writing your cover letter
- Agent or no agent?
Indie or self-publishing is a viable alternative to traditional publishing and it is possible to build a six-figure income. But, it’s not an ‘easy’ way to get your book out there. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- An overview of turning your manuscript into a book
- Steps to self-publishing success
Romance readers are voracious. If they love your writing, they'll want your next book - which is good news for you! But producing multiple books of a high quality requires a disciplined approach and a toolkit to maximise your productivity. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- 12 tips for helping you to enhance your writing output
Aspiring writers ask many of the same questions. We answer them in this fun, informal conversation. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Some serious - and not so serious - secret writers' business
Each module comes with an easy-to-follow workbook. Here’s what you’ll get:
- Workbooks for each module with carefully chosen activities to help you develop your skills